Nominated by Minister of Oil His Excellency Shaikh Mohammed bin Khalifa Al Khalifa, Dr. Ahmed Ali Al Sharyan, General Secretary of the National Oil and Gas Authority headed the Bahrain delegation to participate in the 97th meeting of the Ministers of the Organization of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries (OAPEC), which was held in the Egyptian capital Cairo on December 22. He was accompanied by Mr. Ali Abdul Jabar Al Sawad, General Manager, Strategies and Planning Affairs.
The Ministerial Meeting was held under the chairmanship of His Excellency Essam Abdul Mohsen Al Marzouq, Minister of Oil, Kuwait, who is Chairman of the current session of the OAPEC Council of Ministers.
The Council adopted in its agenda discussion of the following topics:
- Approve an estimated budget for OAPEC for 2017 (Secretariat and Judiciary).
- Appointment of Bassam & Co. as auditor of the accounts of the organization for 2017.
- The results of OAPEC scientific award 2016. The Council was briefed about the outcome of the arbitration, and names of winners were announced. The second prize was shared between Iraq and Algeria.
- Discussion of environmental affairs and climate change and the participation of OAPEC Secretariat in the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change meetings and other coordination meetings.
- Events organized by the Secretariat or in which it participated, which consisted of four events, including the 10th Middle East Refining and Petrochemicals Conference and Exhibition (Petrotech), which was held under the patronage of His Royal Highness Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa, the Prime Minister, in September.
- Studies carried out by the Secretariat during 2016 as well as progress in the development of its information bank.
- Special report about the activity of the Arab companies in the organization and financial results during 2015 and the first half of 2016. These companies are: Arab Maritime Petroleum Transport Company (AMPTC), Arab Shipbuilding and Repair Yard (ASRY) Arab Petroleum Investments Corporation (APICORP), Arab Petroleum Services Company (APSCO) and three other affiliates.
- The subject of extending the term of Republic of Iraq to supervise the Arab Petroleum Training Institute (APTI) of the OAPEC for a year starting from 01/01/2017.
In accordance with Article XIII decision for the establishment of the next session of the Council of Ministers in the State of Libya, for one year with effect from 1.1.2017.
- The Board approved the extension as Secretary General Prof Abbas Ali Al Naqi for another three years from the current service ending date.
- Agreed that the next meeting of the Council of Ministers of the Organization to be held in Kuwait City on December 10, 2017.